Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Peace: An Anchoring Spiritual Force

Peace. Everyone wants it, but it’s a force that eludes so many people. Worry, fear, envy, anxiety, aggravation, depression, double-mindedness, and inner conflict all have one thing in common: they are peace robbers that describe a mind that is in turmoil and dis-eased. It’s the picture of the mind that can never seem to get to a place of rest. It’s the mind that keeps a person up at night, unable to sleep; the mind that is tormented by the cares of today and tomorrow; the mind that is attracting more turmoil like a magnet. This is the picture of the unspiritual mind.
When I use the term “spiritual” I’m talking about that which proceeds from the realm of God, Who is love and light. One of my favorite passages in the Bible is Romans 8:6 which says, “For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.”  A spiritual mind is a mind that is controlled, dictated, and submitted to the Spirit of God--the Holy Spirit. It is the mind that is dictated by the fruit of the Spirit, or manifestations of the character of God – love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and self-control.
The peace of God is so essential in so many areas of our lives. The peace of God keeps our hearts and minds in a place of undisturbed rest, and it surpasses our own natural understanding. When the peace of God rules your life, you can proceed through traumatic situations like the death of a loved one or the loss of a job, knowing that God is with you in the midst of those situations. Others may look at you in surprise that you are able to handle certain things with a grace and ease that is not the norm. This ability comes from being anchored in the peace of God.
Peace essentially means “having nothing missing or broken.” It is a state of wholeness and soundness. A mind that is at peace is one that is not fragmented by tormenting negative emotions and thoughts. It is not distracted by intrusions and suggestions that are designed to take you down the wrong path. A peaceful mind is calm and undisturbed; it is the picture of mental health. Peace isn’t just a vague concept, it is a force that can anchor you in the midst of life’s challenges, no matter what those challenges may be. When peace rules over your heart and mind, and when you recognize how valuable it is to your mental and emotional well being, you’ll look for ways to obtain it and also preserve it.
Peace is also an indicator of the leading of the Lord in your life. When He is leading you, you can proceed with a sense of calm that is unsurpassed. On the other hand, when you have no peace, it’s an indication that something is wrong, and that you need to stop going in the direction you’re currently going in, and make a course correction.
I made a decision long ago that regardless of what is going on, I would not allow anything to rob me of my peace, the reason being that if I allow negative emotions and thoughts to take precedence in my mind, or if I allow circumstances and situations to determine my state of mind and emotions, it will get me to lose focus on everything God has called me to do and it will make my life miserable. For that reason, I make it a point to maintain peace in my life no matter what. I do this by meditating on the Word and allowing that Word to sink into my consciousness. It then becomes a living organism of peace that permeates my mind, will, and emotions. I remind myself that Jesus promised to leave me His peace, and it is a peace that cannot be found anywhere in this world system because it is a supernatural peace. I speak peace over my mind, my family, my household, and life. Words of peace, combined with continual meditation on the Prince of Peace Himself – Jesus – gives me the ability to maintain that calm, undisturbed state of mind.
We encounter so many things daily that have the potential to rob us of this vital spiritual force. Circumstances and situations arise that are designed to challenge our faith and trust in God, and move us from that place of wholeness in our minds and hearts. Claiming and, in some cases, reclaiming peace is the key to staying spiritually focused. This may mean releasing people, relationships, and situations that are toxic and are stealing your peace. Whatever you have to do, do it. Trust God to give you the wisdom you need to make the necessary adjustments and allow Him to give you a deeper revelation of who He is—ultimate peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment