Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dear Mama...

Inhale, exhale as they lifted me from your womb - Birth
Welcome to my new life on planet Earth
It was worth it all, painful labor, to bring forth this new life
And so I stand here to say Thank You Mommy,
Hands full of strength, to love, give, cook hot meals,
Give me hot lemon honey tea when I was sick,
Bandaids on knees, combed and brushed my hair, taught me how to wash and brush my teeth.
Loved me through the years, watching me grow, letting go
Standing tall and on God's Word in the face of a rebellious me, a willful teen
Stepping out about to fall, falling headlong into your canopy of prayers
Seeing me go through stages and phases
Us changing together, growing together but in different ways
Many days you cried for me I'm sure,
Seeming to misunderstand each other, but still loving me as I journeyed my journey
Loving me through all my mess,
Letting me learn on my own some hard lessons, but waiting with open arms for when I had to come back to you and admit that you were right all along
But never judging me or making my decisions for me,
Respecting my wishes, when I was the one being rude
Still loving me, like only you do.
And on this day of celebration, to mothers of all creeds, colors, and denominations
I must salute you, and say Thank You for being the best and the greatest
With your home cooked meals and generous heart, I love you from my heart
And in case I hadn't said it lately, THANK YOU for being the best Mommy a daughter could have..Love, Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment