Monday, January 2, 2012

Discipline, Diligence, and Consistency: Your Success Formula for 2012

Another year has come and gone and, hopefully, 2011 was a year of fulfillment, accomplished goals, and forward progress. I’m pleased to say that as I survey the past year and evaluate it as I always do at the close of another twelve months, I accomplished the goals I set for myself on January 1, 2011. As we press into a brand new span of 365, the theme of discipline, diligence, and consistency came up in my mind during the last few days of 2011 and I decided that it would be my theme for 2012. If there could be a formula for success, these three words are it.

Whether you have one goal that you’re focusing on this year, or ten, discipline is going to be the key to seeing some things happen over the next twelve months. You may have some health and fitness goals, financial objectives, or just a desire to be a more loving person, but regardless of the goals, discipline is going to be a major factor in whether those things materialize. One definition of discipline is “activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training.” I can think of at least 3 areas of my life where I need to tighten up my discipline and I’ve already started. Discipline requires a commitment to follow through on what you say you’re going to do in your personal life. Only you know the areas in which you need more discipline, and if you commit to creating a repetitive regimen that is designed to help you become more disciplined, you will be that much closer to seeing your goal become a reality.

Diligence is another success key that will take your life to another level. One of my favorite scriptures is Proverbs 10:4 which says, “He becomes poor that deals with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent makes rich.” We see that diligence (or slackness i.e. laziness) activates a process of “becoming” meaning that you will be moving in a direction, either positive or negative, based on your choice of action. I definitely want to move in the direction of increase, prosperity, and success in every aspect of my life and I want everything I touch to be successful so diligence has to be a part of my lifestyle. To be diligent is to be constant in effort to accomplish something; attentive and persistent in doing anything. WHATEVER you’re trying to do, be diligent. Don’t stop giving it attention. Make a point to do something EVERY day, that pertains to what you’re trying to accomplish. The momentum you create from that one action of diligence will cause an inflow of opportunities for success.

Finally the issue of consistency is so important. It’s kind of along the same lines of diligence. Consistency is the key to the breakthrough you’re waiting for. It’s the attitude that refuses to get tired and quit when things get difficult. It’s the mindset that continues to do what needs to be done to reach the goal. It’s remaining the same in your actions and the quality of your actions, day in and day out, as it pertains to the accomplishment of your goals. It’s the people who are consistent who achieve lasting success.

I’m all about setting realistic goals that can be achieved in a measurable amount of time. To me, that’s the best way to get things done. Decide what you want to make happen this year, come up with a plan and be disciplined, diligent, and consistent. By doing so you’ll be able to look back on 2012 with ultimate satisfaction. And you’ll have something to show for your efforts!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing Piece. TRUE Words! If everybody realized these things, people would be able to achieve and have a distinct direction for their life.

    ReplyDelete